Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sadness, happiness and a desire

Ok... Big news of the day... I ran for 20 minutes today with no walking in-between! I realize everyone else's big news of the day most likely involves the Super Bowl, but I was way more excited about the run : )
I completed week 5 of the Couch to 5K program today. I can't believe I have been at this for 5 weeks and haven't given up yet! It's a great feeling of accomplishment.

I am not as excited about the weight loss, or lack of weight loss this week. I weighed in on Monday, as usual, and I lost nothing, as I predicted. But... my clothes fit better and I do feel like there could be some muscle-building going on (I told you I would use this... :)  I weigh in tomorrow and I am hopeful, but not expectant, that I will lose something this time. Fingers crossed...

My eating habits have been better this week, other than a pretty fattening breakfast Saturday. My book club friends came over Saturday morning to discuss "Intervention" by Terri Blackstock and I wanted to make breakfast for the occasion. I have been having a hard enough time coming up with new ideas of yummy food that is healthful for myself, and couldn't take the pressure of doing it for company. So... I bought a pastry ring from Panera Bread, made a fruit tray, muffins, hashbrown casserole and mini quiches. I didn't eat excessively from the naughty choices, but ate a serving of everything. I also tried to make some good choices with the ingredients. For the casserole, I used low-fat sour cream and 2% cheese (thanks to advice from you guys). I couldn't tell a difference and it tasted great. 

I made a goal to drink more water and have done a little better, but have a long way to go. Maybe it's something you have to train yourself to do. It's not coming naturally to me, as Cherry Coke Zero tastes so much better... But I will keep trying. :)

I am happy to report that I am taking my thyroid medication regularly and it is becoming more of a habit that I don't have to think about. I should probably mention that I am also supposed to be taking cholesterol medication, but stopped it a long time ago. I would like to think I am managing it well through diet and exercise,  but that hasn't worked in the past. My overall cholesterol number goes down, but the sub-categories are all out of whack. Getting that checked out should probably be a new goal in the near future...

Also, I do feel renewed in my mission to be more helpful to and thoughtful of other people. I think dropping the word helped. Yay :)

So, I am ending this week with a minor sadness that I lost no pounds, a huge happiness that I have finished week 5 running (ok, really a mild jog, but a huge improvement for me) for 20 minutes, and a desire to do better this week. :)

Thanks for reading and for the support! I will update soon... But right now, I think I need another Cherry Coke Zero... :) 

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment