Friday, May 16, 2014

Makeovers, hippies, and some direction

I love a good makeover movie. She's Out of Control, where Ami Dolenz's character goes from nerdy girl to to high school beauty in a five-minute montage, is one of my favorites. Another is Pretty Women, where Julia Roberts' character goes from prostitute to Richard Gere's character's love-of-his-life...

(I've included a much-too-short clip at the end of this blog...When she goes back in to see the sales ladies after some shopping- LOVE IT!) 


And I was inspired myself to give a hippie a makeover. Probably a year or so ago, Noah and I were shopping at a yard sale at the church I grew up in. He found an antenna-ball-smiley-face-hippie that we just had to have.

My hippie looked rough after all these months in the elements - faded, bald, and missing her accessory. I considered buying a new one, but decided a makeover sounded so much more fun. So she got one.New coloring, new hair, and a new headband. She looks like a new woman :)




My Hippie - Before and After

When we bought that cute hippie at the rummage sale, I had no idea how essential she would be for me.

I thought it would be much later in life before I needed to make special arrangements to remember where I parked my car, but the time is now. I have wandered the parking lot many times looking for my car, where it's like looking for the low-fat section of an Olive Garden menu... you know it's there, yet can't quite put your finger on it... And there were times I had nearly gotten into a car that wasn't mine (It looked like mine, okay? I'm not completely crazy yet). But thanks to my adorable hippie, I can spot it easily (Most of the time I still don't know where my keys are, but that's another story).

My hippie gives me direction. Her smiling face says, "Here... We're over here! You've found us! We're waiting for you!" And I clearly need the direction :)

My Bible is like my hippie. It's my direction. Psalm 119:105 describes it like this...

"Your word is a lamp to my feet
     and a light for my path." 

That's His Word - lighting our path so we don't lose our way. Showing us which way to go. Guiding and leading.

If you've ever had to walk in the dark, you know it's easy to lose your way. Even a trip to the restroom during the night can leave me bruised up from misjudging where the footboard of our bed or the doorframe is. But with a nightlight, things go much more smoothly. Outside at night, a flashlight or a street light can help you see where you need to go. You're not mistakenly headed down any wrong paths.

The Bible is full of so many great things. I have been reading it more regularly over the last couple of years and I am falling in love with God's Word. There's wisdom, helping me know the things that are important to God - loving Him, loving other people, having mercy, living selflessly. There are examples of God's faithfulness, directing us to trust Him because we have seen how He can be trusted. And there are some crazy stories I had never learned or heard, like Ehud and the fat king (Judges 3:12-30 in case you have missed that all your life too). And sometimes scripture is a message from God to you, meeting you right in the messy situation you are in. I've had Him use verses to speak to me that way, just when I needed it, bringing with it peace that could not be explained.

So read it. Not because you have to, but read it because it is what you need



Here is the Pretty Woman clip... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment